Friday, October 19, 2007

Re-Creating Creativity

On October 10th Verve Visual released 2 new sets, Winter Wonder and Seasonal Circles, and WOW!!... These have been so much fun to work with! The other night I sat down to create a few projects for this article and without even realizing it I used my circle punches on each one. Does this mean that my mojo is in a slump and I am finding it difficult to think outside the box? Or does it mean that these sentiments fit perfectly in circle punches and this is a fun way to display them? Of course, I would like to think that the latter is true, especially since I used the some focal panel layout (on purpose) on the "Make the Season Bright" card and the "Comfort and Joy" box. This takes me to my point on what I like to call "re-creating creativity". What in the world is that you ask? Well, to me it's when you find something that you like on a project. In this case, I really liked the focal panel on this card.


I knew that I wanted to use it again, but not make it look like a repeat, so I "re-created my creativity" on the box shown below. I changed the orientation of the ribbon and eliminated the bow. Rhinestones where added to the sentiment circle. The base is now scalloped and the panel under the sentiment is stamped. Not to mention, I used it on a completely different project.
The How To:
(I have slighty re-worded the directions that I found from Yvette on SCS.)


  • Cut a piece of cardstock to 9x9"
  • Score at 3" and 6" on both sides so that you have nine 3x3 squares.
  • On the outside corner squares, score across diagonally. Do not score across the center square.
  • Fold the box into itself
  • Glue, staple or brad the sides together. Also, you can add a handle to make it a little basket.
For the final project I created for this article, I made a Criss Cross Card. You can find the directions HERE on Splitcoast. These cards are so fun and easy to make, but they do take a considerable amount of paper in comparison to other types of cards...just something to think about if you plan on mass producing these. The decorative paper is from Webster's Pages and is available in the Verve Store.


I've been poking around SCS and love what I am seeing done with the Verve stamps!! I can't wait to see more of what is created with these 2 new sets. Also, be sure to be on the lookout for 2 more sets coming next month.