Monday, July 20, 2009

Project Parade Day Three ~ Divine Details

Hi everyone! It's Jackie here and it's my turn on this super fun Project Parade! To be perfectly honest, when I saw this month's project parade theme, Divine Design, I sort of panicked! I honestly did not think I had a "process" to my card making, but when I sat down and actually made my card I made a wonderful discovery....I DO HAVE A PROCESS!! LOL!



When I sit down to stamp I usually have a stamp set in mind that I want to use, in this case I knew I wanted to use the new set, Just For You, and the flowers from Grateful Elegance, so I set off on the hardest part of creating a card, the sketch! I RARELY use my own sketches. I am a huge fan of sketch challenges because the hardest part is already done for you! I'm not lazy, just sketch challenged! (wink) For this card I chose Amy Rysavy's sketch from this past Friday, AMYRS72.


Once I find the sketch and have the stamping portion worked out in my head I search for colors. I keep a little notebook on my desk with different color combos I have either tried or have seen and want to try. Other times, like on my card here, I may choose colors from patterned paper that I want to use. I really love this new DP from Stampin' Up called Thoroughly Modern, so I pulled my colors from the DP. I tend to rely HEAVILY on patterned paper. I just love collections of patterned paper because it makes it much easier to combine different patterns as they are made to coordinate with each other!


Once I have the basic parts of my card done, the fun for me begins....embellishing!! I always look at my cards at this point and think "how can I make this more interesting?" There are two items I turn to almost every time to "step it up" and that is my Spellbinders Nestabilities and my Janome Sew Mini. For instance, on this card I decided to frame the sentiment circle with a Blossom Nestability. It really made the sentiment the focal point of the card and it adds such a beautiful look instead of a plain old circle. And stitching, well, stitching is subtle but adds so much to a card! The last embellishment on this card is the ribbon. Now ribbon and I have a love/hate relationship! I don't always use ribbon because I have a hard time tying it. If it doesn't look perfect to me, I just don't use it. It worked on this card, but sometimes I find it overwhelms a card, but that's just me!
Other embellishments I love to use, but did not use on this card are punches, border punches, brads, and rhinestones.

Now, before I actually commit to my layout (aka: glue it down) I put it all together to see how it looks. This is the time that I add my MOST USED product in my craft room.....DIMENSIONALS! Every card, IMO, needs dimension. This is where I decide what layers need dimesion. On this card I popped the main image/sentiment and the entire panel from Bermuda Bay up, on dimensionals.

Well I hope you enjoyed taking a peek into my Divine Design Process as much as I had fun discovering it!!




We can't wait to see what you come up with for this month's Project Parade! To play along, just make a project or card that shows us your Divine Details. Verve Stamps are not required, but if you've got 'em we love to see 'em! Then just add a link to your creation to the Mr. Linky form in this post before 8PM Mountain on Saturday, August 1. Two lucky participants will win a stamp set of their choice from the Verve Store. We've also hidden another $25 gift certificate somewhere along the parade for a random commenter. So if you like what you see, be sure and give a little shout out in the comments of each post! Have fun and good luck!

38 comments:

  1. I have really looked forward to these insights and your description didn't disappoint.

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your card and the colors are so pretty together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card and I loved reading about your process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the details! Thank you so much for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I'm a big fan of dimensionals too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great colours! I love that new Bermuda Bay! I believe in dimensionals too!! LOL Thanks for inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh i love this! the colors and papers all work perfectly together and it's such a great layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just gorgeous, Jackie!!! Our creative process is almost identical lol! Your description is fabulous : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jackie,
    I follow your blog faithfully. One of the reasons that I love your creations so much is your use of embellishements. Your creative process did not disappoint as I can tell by your words how much you enjoy them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely card - I'm with you on the checking out everything before it all gets adhered - there's always something that can be lifted by dimensionals!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really gorgeous card! Thanks for sharing your process - it sounds a lot like mine! I love using sketch challenges and patterned paper to determine the direction of my cards!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So nice! I usually work from a sketch as well - less stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your color choice for this card, and I am right there with you. I am so about the sketches. IT seems that when I use a pre done sketch, my card always comes out better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the way you create! I agree about using dimension. It just adds so much. This card is picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your process. Your card is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that stamp set and the color combination used. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great card. I can so relate to the sketch thing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yep, I'm sketch challenged, too - wanna start a support group? LOL

    I love your color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love hearing about how you put a card together. Thanks for sharing your process with us :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing your creative process! I love all the tips and your card is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing your design process. Such great details...and of course the results...are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is such a beautiful card - thanks for sharing your process. i'm with you on using sketches and dimensionals :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful card - the stitching makes it for me :>)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful card...thanks for sharing your "divine details"!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd have to say that next to ribbon, dimensionals are my most used product too. Maybe more than ribbon now that I think about it. It sure does change how a card looks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous, Jackie!! I'm a lover of dimensionals, too...I almost never make a card without them!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just love the colors you used on this card! Thanks for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's encouraging to see that others go through the same challenges/process in creating paper projects. I too love DP. I find that I hoard it though...

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This color combo is so pretty! I tend to forget about my Blossom Nestability; I'll need to pull it out more often.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful card!! So nice having all of the DT share their card making process!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for sharing a peek into your design thoughts. This is a fun parade. Lovely card with great dimension!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks so much for sharing your creative process!
    I love this card, and I think your stitching is fabulous!
    I'm relieved to know I'm not the only person that has a love/hate relationship with ribbon. Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a beautiful card! I love your remark, "not lazy, just sketch challenged", as I feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful card! I totally agree about the demension part~I would be lost without it!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this - great use of the colors and stamps! Thanks so much for sharing how you create!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow Jackie, I love your colors and sewing. Thanks for sharing your details.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great ideas. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete