Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Project Parade - Day 4: Divine Details

Hey There! Jen Tapler here with the fourth day of this Project Parade of "Divine Details". OK, I have to admit...when the Divas were told what the theme for this month's Project Parade was, I freaked out a little. Mostly because I felt like my designs are pretty straight-forward, clean and simple projects that just aren't very DETAILED!! But when I sat down and started really thinking about my creative process, I realized that I actually DO have a process!! Especially when I'm in panic mode and therefore my MoJo is nowhere to be found!! LOL!

So today I'm sharing with you a little secret of mine...I have a very basic, simple "Go-To layout" that I tend to fall back on time and time again. Now, don't get me wrong - I think I'm easily able to fool most of you by moving things around slightly, adding different embellishments here and there or even sometimes (like today) throwing in an extra layer!! But when I started browsing through my Verve Gallery, I realized I use this basic layout quite a bit (so I'm thinking that says I either lose my MoJo more often than I care to admit OR I'm not as creative as I thought!! HA!).

Anyway, here's a look at the card I made using Verve's Just for You and Abundant Blessings stamp sets, then I'll break things down for you:

When I sat down to create this card, I started out like I almost always do - with a few pieces of coordinating patterned paper (in this case I chose some of the Sonoma line from Scenic Route) and a handful of stamp sets that might work well with those papers. Next I gathered up other coordinating cardstock and embellishments that might make their way onto the card as well as any tools I might use. At this point, I still typically have no plans for a layout or sketch, but I do usually know what elements I want to include on my card.

The next step is usually where I get stuck - coming up with an original sketch or layout for my card. When I'm feeling stuck I fall back on this basic plan: Go with a vertically oriented card and divide it into 2 parts (one part being approximately 1/3 and the other 2/3 the height of the card). Two of my coordinating patterned papers will make up those 2 sections. And voila! There's my standard layout. There are lots of variations on this layout, as you can see in my Verve Gallery HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.

After I've decided to use my standard "Go To Layout", the other steps are pretty straight forward - decide what goes where and add the details!! And it usually goes a little something like this:
1. Can I use Kraft on this card? (the answer to this question for me is almost always YES!!)

2. What papers look best where - this is usually a matter of trial and error for me. I usually try to lay my pieces of DP next to each other in various positions to determine what works best, then I start cutting. LOTS of times I end up deciding my original idea just doesn't look good and I have to re-cut and play around a bit before finding something that works.

3. Stamp. I usually stamp a few different combinations of ink colors. For example, for this card I stamped the circle once in Kiwi Kiss and once in Versafine Vintage Sepia and then stamped the sentiment inside each circle in the OTHER color. I knew I wanted to mat the stamped circle with a Chocolate Chip scalloped circle, but wasn't sure which ink combo would look best. So I cut both out and just tried them. At this point I could see that the circle was gonna need something else, and I thought flowers, so I dug through my Verve stamps and decided the flowers in Abundant Blessings looked good with the DP I had chosen, so I stamped them a few times on several coordinating pieces of cardstock (Dusty Durango, Kiwi Kiss, Very Vanilla, Close to Cocoa, and Kraft) before deciding which would look best.

4. Add some ribbon across the Printed Paper dividing line - I almost ALWAYS use ribbon and grosgrain is my weakness (probably because I find it easiest to tie). And I NEVER tie a bow. Because I suck at bows. I keep it simple and just tie a knot!

5. Add the finishing touches - in this case, I added an extra layer consisting of a 3rd coordinating DP, a few corduroy brads, and some stitching around the entire thing.

6. The last thing I do is glue it all down. I always finish each layer individually and then "assemble" it without adhesive first to make sure it looks OK. Once it's all good to go, I add my adhesive. And I'm a sucker for some dimensionals!! As some of the other divas before me have mentioned - just adding some depth to your cards really gives them that extra "oomph"!

Here's a closer look at some of the details and dimension on this card (and trust me, this is pretty darn detailed for me!!)

So that's it. Like I said, nothing too fancy about my design process. We'd love to have you play along with us this month! To play along, just make a project or card that shows us your Divine Details. Verve Stamps are not required, but if you've got 'em we love to see 'em! Then just add a link to your creation to the Mr. Linky form in this post before 8PM Mountain on Saturday, August 1. Two lucky participants will win a stamp set of their choice from the Verve Store. We've also hidden another $25 gift certificate somewhere along the parade for a random commenter. So if you like what you see, be sure and give a little shout out in the comments of each post! Have fun and good luck!

39 comments:

  1. Love your card! You do a great job "fooling" us with that layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your tips! I am busy committing them to memory. I love your cards and designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card. Love the colors and layout and of course the sentiment. Lovin the all the eye candy on this parade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look for that kraft in your cards as I love it too.Thanks for your tips and of course the wonderful card results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you pull those patterns together! No matter what - your process always seems to work :) Love all your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, you make process seem so easy. Thanks so much for breaking the steps down for us bog readers. Your card is beautiful!
    -Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  7. The card is lovely, and I enjoyed reading about your process,especially how you come up with a sketch! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I just say I have looked at all of the examples and never noticed that you do the 1/3, 2/3 trick. Hello! I need to be more observant when I look at cards. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card and thanks for the insite on your design process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome card, love those papers! Fantastic go-to sketch! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely card, and thanks for the insight! it doesn't appear that your mojo ever takes a break :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen, I love your designs! I like a sketch to go to when I'm stuck and am thinking I need to start a sketch book...yours is going to be the first!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your card is great and I am loving all the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooh i totally love it!!! CAS is my fav and you do it beautifully :D great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the card, I tend not to use a layout. I am going to start using sketches more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card! I've never though of having a "go-to" layout before - I'm horrible with making my own sketches, so I like that tip!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for letting us see your process and sweet details!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a clever little crafter you are - fooling us all like that! This is great to learn from everyone and maybe make my card making go a bit faster. Thanks for the insight! Great card too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Isn't funny how you can spot patterns in your cards that maybe other people never notice? I think your 'go-to' layout is a great one...I'll definitely be adding it to my book of sketches ;) Gorgeous card! I love the DP and colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jen,
    I love your cards and until you pointed out your "go to" layout I had never noticed that they all had that one thing in common. Your use of embellishments always diguises this. I am SO going to have to use this layout. Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jen,
    I love your cards and until you pointed out your "go to" layout I had never noticed that they all had that one thing in common. Your use of embellishments always diguises this. I am SO going to have to use this layout. Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a beautiful card! Thanks for all the insights.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is gorgeous, Jen! I love the dp you used, and all of your details are wonderful! Thank you for the peek into your design process : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for this post Jen!! I feel like I lose my mojo every other day and never thought to have a "go to" layout! Love your layout and your card!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A lovely card - I never thought of having a "go to" layout when the mojo isn't working...but now I think I will!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great card, and your detailed comments are really helpful! I struggle trying to decide what color ink to use for the sentiment; nice to know about experimenting with different ones before adding it to a card.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved all your HERE HERE HERE and HERE Cards! They were all beautiful. And just because you use the same base with the 2 DP, doesn't mean you are using the same sketch because if you look at the VIVALAVERVE challenges, they often will have the circle or square or whatever actually ON the sketch, so you are actually switching it up! Either way, BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can't say much....only that it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Another beautiful project!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your process sounds pretty much like mine... a lot of trial and error. You achieve such beautiful results though!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like it! You have an eye for design & details! The stitching also adds so much! Thanks for sharing your creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome card- I'm so enjoying reading about the process all you talented ladies go through to end up with such great creations. I love the stitching too, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jen, I so appreciate your honesty. I never would have guessed that you use the same go to layout a lot. Maybe because your finished project always looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So enjoying all the tips from you divas :D Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your card!! Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is beautiful - I love all the dimension! Thanks for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  37. So gorgeous, Jen. Your 'basic' layout produces incredible cards! Thanks for sharing your divine details for us Verve fans.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like the simple clean look. Thanks for sharing your steps.

    ReplyDelete