Thursday, July 16, 2009

Project Parade Day 1: Divine Details

Welcome to the Verve Stamps July Project Parade. This is Day 1 of "Divine Details," a theme that is a little different than those in the past. The idea for this theme came from being asked "How do you come up with your designs?" and various other "How did you do that?" type questions. This month the Verve Divas are going to break down their design processes and ideas, using Verve stamps. We hope that you will come back each day and play along with us, too.

For me, the start of a project is in the layout. That's not to say that what I start with is what I end up with, but I generally use this as my starting point. From there, I move on to which stamps I am going to use and then what paper(s) will best match those stamps. I like to mix and match stamp sets. Usually I stick with the same company's stamps, as these are most often the same style of stamps and will coordinate very easily. As for the papers, I like to mix and match all different brands and styles. Many times combos come from circumstance. I will pull out a few scraps and see what might work together. I know that a lot of people dislike 2-sided papers because they feel it is a waste of one side, but I love them. They are perfect for cardmakers that only uses small pieces at a time, and more often than not, they coordinate perfectly.



For this card, I flipped through my sketch book and combined a few elements from some of my favorite sketches. I try (emphasis on TRY) to switch up shapes, especially for main panels. I combined 2 of my favorite stamp sets from Verve, Up, Up & Away and Circular Sayings. Finally, my paper choices came from the colors that I wanted to use: Blue, Green and Kraft. The designer paper is from October Afternoon's Ducks in a Row collection, and is double sided.

Divine Details I used on this card:
-Paper piecing and popping up the balloon. I always think that dimension helps to make a "Wow" card. Detail pic of the dimension on this card...

-Using various shapes on my panels, and popping them up. I used Nestabilities on the main panels, as well as using the scalloped scallop punch on the thinner horizontal panel.
-Adding coordinating embellishments without overwhelming the rest of the card.
-Layering and matting panels. This is a very simple way to add interest to your card. Just think of how different this card would look if the main image panel was not matted with the white circle!
-Sponging and stitching. Neither of these is terribly obvious on this card, which also means that I did not overdo it. The stitching is done on the long vertical panel that the ribbon is attached to. I sponged the Kraft main image panel's edges, just to give it a little more definition.

We can't wait to see what you come up with for this month's Project Parade! To play along, just make a project or card that shows us your Divine Details. Verve Stamps are not required, but if you've got 'em we love to see 'em! Then just add a link to your creation to the Mr. Linky form below before 8PM Mountain on Saturday, August 1. Two lucky participants will win a stamp set of their choice from the Verve Store. We've also hidden another $25 gift certificate somewhere along the parade for a random commenter. So if you like what you see, be sure and give a little shout out in the comments of each post! Have fun and good luck!


60 comments:

  1. What a great idea to have eveyone explain their thought process when creating.

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be interesting to see how everyone comes up with their projects. For me it varies, sometimes it is the stamp, sometimes it is the paper, other times it is a sketch that gets me started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be a fabulous project parade! Yay for Verve!! I'll have to start thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the card and hearing how you come up with your design ideas. Can't wait to see what everyone else does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun, different, parade! Thanks so much for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. as I mentioned on your blog, this card is magnificent!!! love it gurl :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just in case mr linky goes a little wonky - here is the link to my post for this particular challenge. I can't wait to see the others!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colour combo, Jen...and you can never go wrong with gemstones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the colour combination of this balloon card, and i, too, am a big fan of the double-side papers! they're great for distressing and a little fold for interest, too!

    thank you for the breakdown! :)

    ---Karmyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. This card is amazing! This will be a great parade!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it when designers give details about what they did on their cards. Sometimes it's tough for me to come up with ideas, but these are great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your card and your "divine" details!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great idea for the parade! love the card color and shape - can't wait for the rest of the days :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Uh oh! How I go about creating a card depends on where my creativity is that day (I can totally relate to Julee's "The Plateau" post over on her blog)... But I will happily play along! :) GREAT card, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful, Jen. I love to hear how you get to your end result - I've learned a few things already! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this 'thought explanation' idea! It give s me some ideas of my own and new ways to think.

    This is a lovely card! Love the color combination!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful...I just love that Up, Up and Away set!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great card, Jen! I've always loved your sketches and find them to be my start off point! Thank you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the color combo and all the layers. Thanks for sharing your process with us!

    ReplyDelete
  20. amazing style Jen, luv your work!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  21. I totally tried to miss the parade! I usually check back once a day, but hadn't in a couple, and now I am behind! I love the look of this card. I so want the label 3 nesties just so I can do like you did in this card! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is beautiful!! I love the color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like the color combo of this card. I like double sided patterned paper, too. Thanks for sharing your card and thought process in creating it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful card - love the color combo! Thanks for sharing your design process!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like the colors in the papers. And I like how you used a rhinestone to dot the "i" in the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful card and love reading how crafters start their projects. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great card - as always! Lovin the colors!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this card! This parade is just what the mojo needs!

    ReplyDelete
  30. this card is just gorgeous! The idea of this project parade is so fun! I cant wait to see everything every day!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I entered!! http://eclecticendeavours.blogspot.com/2009/07/always-cherish-every-moment.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful card! I may post a card later.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love this set! The colors are GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous card! Love all your details.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Jen, I love the detail on your card! I like to think that the dimensions and paper choices definately make the card more of a present. This is filled with them and show how much you care for the recepient. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yay, I'm so excited to see and read about everyone's projects! This card is just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. OOOps, I thought I had posted a comment on this one too. I love the colors and all the details. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your card is so cheery & pretty with the gorgeously rich colors & the adorable balloon stamp set! Thanks for sharing your processes with us.
    -Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love hearing how your creative juices come together to make a card. Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  40. This thought process blog hop is so very helpful...and the card is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love your card. It is really beautiful. I also thank you for your design tips as well your discussion on adding interest with dimensionals. I seem to have issues with adding interest but I love your tips and intend to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  42. It is so much fun hearing everyone's process. I know this will help improve my own chaotic approach!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the piecing and subtle stitching. PUR-DEE!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love this card- the layout, the color combo, the dimension- everything! This is just a great card, and a great idea for the project parade! Now we can see behind the scenes into the thought processes of some of our favorite creative geniuses.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I think your card turned out beautifully. I love that balloon set! It's perfect with the Ducks in a Row paper!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Ooops! So sorry, but I put in the wrong link. The second link is to my project. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love your card and hearing how you come up with your design ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. This is my very first time playing! I added to the Mr. Linky above and have the card posted on my blog! Thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Paper piecing always looks so good on your cards Jen. Thanks for sharing your designing method with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Jen, this is a great idea to have to the Divas share their details. I'm always drooling over your blog and love hearing the scoop on how you do what you do. Always beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thanks for the chance to share my own process - I've really loved reading the DT's posts and seeing their gorgeous creations!

    ReplyDelete
  52. So many great ideas from the Divas, and I am happy to report that MY own process is similar to so many superstars (if only the results were too...). :)

    Anyway, I am linking up two projects that show a little something else I do at my craft table: 1) creating a card with an idea that pops into my head while working on a sketch challenge, and 2) using up extra pieces and scraps on a new card. Divine? Perhaps not, but it works for me! ;)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  53. What fun these are to read! I'm glad to hear that each FABULOUS creation from the Verve Divas doesn't just pop into their heads and get whipped onto paper in an instant!! It's all a process and fun to hear how each crafters' procedure works!

    ReplyDelete
  54. It was fun to write out the details of my process. I hope I was clear enough!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I've had so much fun looking at and reading about everyone's Divine Details this month. What a fun idea! Thanks for the oodles of inspiration and a peak into everyone's creative processes!

    ReplyDelete