Monday, June 8, 2009

Project Parade - Day 4

Hey y'all, it's Shannan here! I hope you're enjoying the Project Parade so far...I know I am! I have to admit, when Jen announced this month's theme, I was a little scared! If you don't know why, just check out the name of my blog. *grin* I don't "do" boy things very often...it's wayyyy out of my comfort zone! But I was brave and gave it a shot, and I'm excited that I did!

When I was at my LSS last week, I stumbled upon this cool stuff called Sophisticated Finishes. It's a two-part process that involves painting a surface with a Metallic Surface finish (I used Copper), and then applying an Antiquing Solution (I used Patina Green) to areas to create a cool finish. Off to the store I went to look for something to antique! I happened upon this unfinished wood cube with inserts for photos, and it is on a little turntable so it spins. I thought it would be a perfect addition to my dad's desk.
 After the antiquing process (which I have the urge to do on all non-moving objects at this point), I went to work on the inserts for the cube. They measure just over 3 1/4" square, so I cut some Classic Cream cardstock to size and then decorated them with my stamps. For the first square, I stamped the second generation image of the background from the Protector set in Distress Tea Dye ink. I repeated that image until the entire square was covered. Then I stamped Whimsy Tree in Distress Walnut Stain (stamped off once), and added the sentiment from Dare to Be You in Walnut Stain full strength.The edges were then sponged with Tea Dye and then Walnut Stain.

The next square was stamped with the "another name for love" stamp from World's Best. I then stamped the frame from Dad's Day in Tea Dye ink, and the sentiment in Walnut Stain, and finished by sponging the edges.

For the third square, I inked up the "DAD" image from Protector in Tea Dye, and then created a pattern from the strip of dots from Father Figure in second generation Tea Dye. The sentiment is also from Father Figure, and I stamped it in Walnut Stain before sponging the edges.

The last square is probably my favorite. I stamped the Dad image from Protector repeatedly in second generation Tea Dye to create a background. Then I added the sentiment (my favorite!!) from Dad's Day in Walnut Stain before sponging the edges.

Once I finished all four of the inserts, I glued some Natural Jute along the bottom of the box, along the trim. I also covered the top with the same jute, wrapped in a square pattern working from the edges to the inside.

All in all, a very manly, rustic gift that took me about an hour and cost less than $10 to create! I'm pretty proud, if I do say so myself. *wink*

So, are you ready to play along yet? Everyone is welcome! Just make a project or card that fits your style and celebrates a man in your life. Verve Stamps are not required, but if you've got 'em we love to see 'em! Then just add a link to your creation to the Mr. Linky form in --->{THIS}<--- post before 8PM Mountain on Saturday, June 20th. Two lucky participants will win a stamp set of their choice from the Verve Store. We've also hidden another $25 gift certificate somewhere along the parade for a random commenter. So if you like what you see, don't forget to leave a little love in the comments of each post! Have fun and good luck!

38 comments:

  1. What a great project! I tend to avoid paint for crafting projects (I'm a bit of a sissy, I guess), but this has such potential! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, fantastic! I love that idea, I love the idea of painting/distressing yourself, you can get it just the way you want it! Any man would be ecstatic to get this gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cool project! I don't often do 3D projects - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool project! I have seen things like this at yard sales. Now I will have more of a keen eye! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute and easy project!! I love this and have one of these cubes at home just waiting to be distressed!! I am loving that I came across this Project Parade: It's a Guy thing! I have 3 boys and a husband and I struggle for ideas sometimes!! Thansk again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is AMAZING! It's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing! I love the paint effect :) What a lovely gift your dad will treasure :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way cool box Shannan!! I'm sure this will be treasured!! Love the painting and all your individual panels!! FANTASTIC!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have given me SO many bad ideas... bad because I have a two year old who likes to help!
    Wow, your photo box is too cool and makes my father's day present to my dad seem a little pathetic! You did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great gift and one that you can keep changing each year---just swipe it off his desk and change up the images.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For someone who doesn't do "manly" sorts of projects, this project is fabulous! I think you could have said, "I do these all the time!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Shannan! Your cube is awesome! I LOVE the distressing and all of your stamped windows are fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice idea for a project. So many neat sentiments!

    Melisa Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  14. FABULOUS! Very creative & will make a priceless gift!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is absolutely gorgeous...in a totally manly way. i love the painting and the rope.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so beautiful! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a wonderful project! Love the tree stamp. Looks fantastic. You did a marvelous job distressing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fabulous, Shannan! What a great guy gift!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the sentiments in the windows!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what a wild finish on that box! Thanks for all the creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Impressive! I'd be scared to try anything involving more than one step of painting, but this is really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this box! I have a hard time trying to create a gift for a guy, and this would be perfect-not too girly or anything.
    Thanks for such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a gorgeous project! Again, so very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great masculine project. Love that last panel sentiment too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Some lucky guys is going to absolutely love that you did this just for him. Love the antiquing, I bet that was fun

    ReplyDelete
  26. This turned out so masculine and rustic! The finish on the box is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great gift idea to fill the photo slots with the sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always think paper with stamps...but that's a such a cool idea! Love the panels too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Way to show off an older, but awesome set! Love the dots. I didn't even know Father Figure was a Verve option. I'm all about bleeding edge stamp sets.

    Way to rock the guy thing parade Shannan!

    ReplyDelete
  30. GREAT project - love that finish! You did a great job using all those stamps as backgrounds - love all them!

    ReplyDelete
  31. your dad will love this - the finish is so cool, and i love all the stamps you used!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is SO cool, Shannan! I just love the rustic look, and the images are perfect in the cube!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful project and my husband would love this!

    ReplyDelete