Monday, January 24, 2011

January Diva Dare - Day 7


Hi Verve fans, are you ready for another week of Diva Dare projects? It's Amy here today, and we're already on Day 7! Here's the challenge:

We dare you to make a card, project, layout, or whatever fits your stamping style using this month's theme - Baby Love!The baby part could be for a new little someone...or a special someone! Be sure to look for the details on how you can win some new Verve goodies at the end of this post!





I answered the dare with this shabby little number (inspired by Cher!):



Way back when my husband and I were dating, I made him a Valentine's Day mix that included, among other things, Cher's 1990 remake of Baby, I'm Yours. That may have been the first and only time I {indirectly} called my DH "baby" (we have terms of endearment, "baby" is just not one of them). Nonetheless, the "Baby, I'm Yours" lyrics have been running through my head ever since this month's Diva Dare theme, "Baby Love," was announced. So, with lyrics in mind, I've answered the dare with a "baby" {giggle} card for my husband. I'm hoping to find the original cassette and give him a CD remake, or put together an iTunes playlist, for Valentine's Day this year -- our little portkey back to the early days of our relationship. A good 19-20 years have passed since I gave him the original!

Anyhoo, my card is one of those that took on a life of its own. I just kept adding and adding and adding! But keep reading ... most of it has a purpose.  I began with Tosh's awesome Viva La Verve January Week 3 sketch (shown left) and Play Date Cafe Challenge PDCC#64 (from a couple of weeks ago), which was a light blue, kraft/beige/tan, and gray/silver combo. 

The patterned papers are from Basic Grey's Capella collection. On the tilted panel, I included two hearts that I die-cut with Verve's Jotted Heart Die. The light blue one is dry-embossed and spritzed with shimmer spray. The cardboard one is lightly painted around the edges with acrylic paint and topped with some bling. Tying the two together is a banner with the "Together Forever" sentiment from Love Notes (totally goes with the song lyrics!), and a rolled flower. Thinking the flower resembled a nest, I added three little pearls, one for each of our kiddoes. Along the bottom, for the two horizontal strips in the sketch, I placed a variety of layered ribbons and trims in a sort of "his" and "hers" arrangement, a rustic, simple "his" above (the woven burlap trim), and a more complicated, fussy "hers" below (looped trim, crochet trim, and satin ribbon). In a nod to the well-loved, worn, broken-in nature of our 17-year marriage, I gave the card a shabby look with some dry-brushed acrylic paint around the edges and heavily distressed edges.

Sorry for all the heady symbolism -- what can I say, I was an English major! 


So......will you answer the dare? If so, here are some details:

1. Play along with us and link up your new Baby Love creation (posted January 14th or later) to the linky widget on the DAY ONE Diva Dare post before midnight MST on January 29th. One lucky stamper will win a $30.00 gift certificate to the Verve Store. Verve Stamps are not required, but if you've got 'em we would LOVE to see ‘em!

2. For another chance to win, be sure to give the Divas a little shout-out in the comments section as we share our Baby Love creations. One lucky commenter will win the Verve stamp set of his or her choosing! Winners will be announced on Monday, January 31st right here on the Verve blog.
So go ahead and show us your Baby Love creations...we DARE you!

49 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. I love the colors, and all those scrumptious embellies. Exquisite details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card. Love the vintage look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beauty! Give me heady symbolism anyday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO so pretty.I love the colors and all the details.So vintage looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..it's just beautiful and I LOVE that each little thing "meant" something to you. A card made with love and thought..I adore that. This is so so great a card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous in all of it's Amy-esque detail! Beautiful colors and gorgeous array of flowers and lace! And I have to concur with Keva...a card made with love...so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So absolutely wonderful Amy! I love your shabby chic look. It's such inspiration for me, even though I can't do it... Love the pretty color combination. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very beautiful card as always Amy...but I love love the look and feel of this card

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all the little details that add up to sweet memories and the your time together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful and meaningful card. I love the soft colors and distressing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a gorgeous card! Love all of your details and how each one meant something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO so pretty.I love the colors and all the details. Olena

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great card--love the soft colors and all the synmbolism.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is absolutely beautiful, Amy. I love the shabby, vintage look (and I am not usually a huge fan...) Your story makes the card even more special - love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so pretty! Love the soft colors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're too cute, Amy. Bring on the symbolism and let your major shine :) Love the colours you used on the card and all the classic Amy detailing is in full gear on this beauty. I'm sure your hubby will be love the card and the CD :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely card and a sweet story.I bet he will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful, love the flower!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amy, this is soooo pretty!! I love the soft aqua with the stone color combo!! Your hubby will adore it!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amy,
    I just love your card. The colors are so soft and pretty and I really like the manly and girlie embellishments combined! Cute little "love" nest with the 3 pearl eggs. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so beautiful and dainty! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW!! What a gorgeous Valentine card and so much more meaningful with all the symbolic elements! You have such a talent with making stunning, vintage cards!

    ReplyDelete
  23. shabbyily scruptious! Oh goodness! This is amazing! Your rolled flowers are so...PERFECT! Mine NEVER look that amazing! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Another gorgeous distressed number from you Amy....your cards never fail to inspire me! Thank you so much for that!

    ReplyDelete
  25. All of the cards I have seen for this challenge are beautiful! Need to try my hand at the challenge...you've all inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Totally love this...Shabby Chic just takes my breath away. This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the heady symbolism, it's great! And your card, it's just as fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing, as always! Let us know if your husband appreciates all the layers of meaning that went in to this stunning creation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. OOOhhhh . . . love it! The card is gorgeous and once you explained all the details, even better! Probably, you will have to explain them all to your husband, but it's worth it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great card Amy!! Your husband is a lucky guy!!! Cute story behind it!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amy, oh another vintage card, I adore the colors used in this. How special.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This card is so beautiful. I love the vintage look and the color combo. It's inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This color combo is one of my favorites. Your card is so stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like everything you make. Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so beautiful. I love the colors together and the vintage look. Beautiful embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  36. BEAUTIFUL!!! Love the colors & the 3 pearls sitting in the center of that sweet little flower. Wonderful card.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the distressed look and the beautiful lace and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  38. You continue to amaze me with your creativity! I want to be just like you guys when I grow-up! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful vintage card~ amazing detail!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Stunning card, love the many details, those rolled flowers are precious, the lace is awesome, the soft colors are beautiful. You never cease to amaze me. I love your work.s

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, this is gorgeous. Love the vintage look. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your vintage shabby chic card is so pretty. Gorgeous colours, ribbons, sparkle....wonderful in all it's glorious detail. Thanks for sharing so much inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What an absolutely gorgeous card! I love the shabby chic look :D

    ReplyDelete
  44. So beautiful! I love all the details. I especially love those little pearls inside the rolled up flower! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love your romantic Valentine's Day card! The colours and details are wonderful. I am sure your husband will appreciate it and the music will set the mood. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh, WOW! I love how you interpreted the sketch. Your colors and use of textures is FAB. Thanks for the inspiration. :D

    ReplyDelete