Sunday, July 18, 2010

July Project Parade ~ Day 6

Hi there!  It's Jackie here with another day from the My Hero Project Parade!  Haven't the Diva's done a fabulous job so far?  Oh my....such inspiration!

The project I have to show you today was not made for a hero of mine, but for my husband's cousin Cherie, whose Son-in-law is serving as a marine in Afghanistan.  Let me give you a little back story and it might give you a little insight as to how I came up with my project....I promise not to bore you!

My girls went to stay with their cousin for several days about a week or so ago. (what a glorious quiet and stamping filled time it was for me....but I digress...)  While there, they made cookies for Joe, the Son-in-law, along with some cheerful cards.  Cherie (hubby's cousin) sends him (her Son-in-law) care packages every few weeks while he serves our country in Afghanistan.  My girls have been talking about how fun it was to package up his cookies and include the pictures and cards they'd made for him, so when I sat down to make something for this project parade, I thought I'd make something for Cherie! Clear as mud?  Hope so.....so let's get to it!


I made a 3x3 box with some darling little 3x3 cards that could be tucked into the care packages that Cherie makes for her Son-in-law, Joe!

The new set American Hero was PERFECT for this!  I didn't want to use the traditional Red White and Blue, so I opted for a somewhat masculine color combo using navy, kraft and a little October Afternoon Report Card DP.  The main image sentiments were all cut out with Classic Circle Nestabilities and while still in the die, sponged with some Ranger Distress Ink in Peeled Paint.  They were all layered on a Big Scallop Square Die and all corners were rounded with my favorite tool in the world....the Corner Chomper!


Here are the three different cards I made.  I actually made two of each, but I couldn't fit them all in the picture!  All six easily fit in the box with the envelopes.  I kept the cards pretty flat, the only dimension is on the main image.  I popped it up with foam tape.

And here is the box by it's little ole' self!  There is a great tutorial for this box by our very own Laurie Schmidlin on Splitcoaststampers.  I used some wide twill around the box and finished it off with a button threaded with some twine.  I paper pieced one of the stars from American Hero with the same dp.

So what do you think?  I hope Cherie likes it! 

_________________________________________________________


As with all of our project parades, there are prizes!!!!

1. Play along with us and link up your new My Hero creation (posted July 12th or later) to the linky widget on the DAY ONE parade post before midnight on July 30th. One lucky stamper will win a $30.00 gift certificate to the Verve Store. Verve Stamps are not required, but we LOVE to see ‘em!

2. For another chance to win, be sure to give the Divas a little shout-out in the comments section as we parade our My Hero creations. One lucky commenter during the course of the parade (July 12 ~ July 28) will win the Verve stamp set of his or her choosing!

Can't wait to see all the entries!

42 comments:

  1. I adore these papers Jackie, perfect gift and great story!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, Very Nice, Love the colors and your layout. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This color combo is TERRIFIC! Great story too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous, and so thoughtful. She will love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great colours and papers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great set of cards!

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful set. I just love the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just a wonderful set of cards. I love the green and navy together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, loved reading about what these cards will be used for :) They are perfect for sending a little note of love and appreciation. Great papers, colours, sponging and LOVE the twill ribbon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great set Jackie! I love the colors and the overall look to this grouping, they really are wonderful and anyone would be lucky to get that as a gift of thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply fabulous, Jackie!! Love the story behind them too! SO important to remember and support those who protect our freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clear as mud and completely wonderful! I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful project to celebrate our heroes. I love these...they are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this set and love the colors you chose!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic idea! Beautiful, love your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoyed the story behind this lovely set. Fantastic colors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my fav so far. The others were wonderful but I think I like this one the best for the colors used. Beautiful set and gift.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your adorable box and cards! What a wonderful idea for sending a loved one such a nice gift. Thanks for sharing it with us during the project parade.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous project! I love those 3x3 boxes and matching cards. I need to make me a set like this. What a nice story of family and service!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jackie, this is gorgeous. Love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE your choice of colors, Jackie! This is such a sweet and thoughtful gift...saving it to my book of faves to CASE someday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a wonderful gift! These are so beautiful in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this card set....I'm sure Cherie will love this as well. I like that color combo as well!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great project and the color combo is very nice. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fab, fab, fab! Such fun PP and I adore that box!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a great gift package! I love the colors and the box!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great cards - love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh I do love the colors. Very masculine and very elegant... What a great gift idea for your cousin to use for her son-in-law. I think everyone involved will really appreciate the love, creativity, and hard work that went into making this.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this set Jackie and how you so thoughtfully created with it. Beautiful color theme too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous little cards! Your friend will love sending them!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great idea! It's sure to make her care packages that much more appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  32. beautiful box and cards!! what a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Cherie will love these. I too have been using this set to send cards and put in packages we send to a soldier is Afghanistan. But I've been using red, white and blue. I'm inspired by your colors. Going to try this combo next time!

    ReplyDelete
  34. LOVE the colors on your project!!! This is such a perfect little gift!

    ReplyDelete
  35. beautiful, Jackie! love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete