Tuesday, March 23, 2010

March Project Parade - Day Two

Hey there! Jen Tapler here with Day Two of the March Project Parade. So every single month when I get the Project Parade schedule, I always let out a big sigh and think to myself "maaaan, I have to follow HER!?!? great." It didn't take long for me to realize that with this talented group of Verve girls there's actually not one single Diva I enjoy following - they all still intimidate the heck out of me. And this month was no exception. How about that other Jen kicking off the Fun with Flowers theme yesterday with that amazing gift project?? Pretty cool, huh? See what I mean? ;-)

When I started thinking about my project, I knew three things (1) I needed a small birthday gift for my good friend and co-worker, Sue, (2) I wanted to use the flower from the new Feel the Sun set as my focal image, and (3) I wanted to keep my design clean and simple (as usual). I came up with this little gift ensemble:

I created the Happy Birthday card first and replicated it's clean and simple design on the other items in the gift. I went with a color scheme of Kraft, red, navy, baby blue and saffron and couldn't resist including the polka dots from Bountiful Backgrounds as a common background element throughout the project. I added a navy blue scalloped border and a folded grosgrain ribbon. My "Fun with Flowers" element comes in the form of my bright red floral focal image. I stamped the large flower from Feel the Sun twice on red cardstock in red ink, cutting out the entire image once and then just the inner portion of the flower from the 2nd image. I popped the inner portion of the flower up on dimensionals and layered it on top of the large flower, adding a yellow button to the center. The Happy Birthday sentiment is from the new Big Wish set.
I also created a matching 4x6 notepad cover by cutting a piece of Kraft cardstock to 6 1/4 x 8 7/8 inches and scoring at 4 1/4 and 4 5/8 inches along the 8 7/8 inch side. I attached a 4x6 "scratch pad" to the inside of the back cover with scor-tape. The front of the notepad cover was decorated very similar to the card, except I used a sentiment from the Feel the Sun set that I felt was appropriate for a notepad Sue could use at work (click photo to view larger):
And finally, we are forever accusing each other and the other Physical Therapists we work with of "stealing" post-it pads from our desks, so I felt Sue needed a special covered Post-It Notepad for her desk. I created the cover by cutting a piece of Kraft cardstock to 3 5/8 x 8 1/4 and scoring at 2, 2 3/8, 5 1/2, and 5 7/8. I attached a Post-It pad to the center section of the cover once it was all folded in on itself and decorated the front.
And there you have it! A simple and unique co-worker gift set that I'm pretty sure Sue will love! What do you think?

We'd love for you to play along with us in our Fun with Flowers Project Parade this month!

As with all of our Project Parades, we've got prizes! There are two ways to win:
1. Link up your new creation (posted March 22 or later) to the Mr. Linky widget on Jen's Post before Midnight on April 8th
2. One lucky stamper will win a $25.00 gift certificate to the Verve Store.
3. Be sure to leave the Diva's a little shout out in the comments as we parade our creations inspired by this month's theme. One lucky commenter during the course of the parade (March 22 - April 7) will win his/her choice of any Verve stamp set!

54 comments:

  1. As always, your style is fabulous! Love the color combo and clean look of the project.

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen this is Fantastic, what a great gift and thank you so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bold, bright colors and the flowers are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are wonderful, jen...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple and beautiful. Love the color combonation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love this great gift set! Simple but very pretty. I believe I want to get out my Kraft paper today! LOL Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your gift set!! Simple and so sweet! Thanks for sharing your ideas!

    sueot33@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely gift set! I feel that gifts and cards that are personally made are just that wee bit more special!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great color combo. I wish I could do CAS like you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the card and projects. Great color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful gift set, Jen! Love the Kraft and the CAS! The flower is wonderful and so is the ruffled ribbon!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen girl you crack me up....you are AMAZING...I luv your clean and simple style....this project is fabulous!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are all fabulous. I love the colours and polkadots. Flower are always pretty when they're red :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous projects! Love the colors & clean lines.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great gifty! Your friend will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous ribbon treatment and I love the colour combo you used. That Verve flower is gorgeous too! Great gift set - do you need my address to send it LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE your gift ensemble! Great clean, simple lines...it highlights that gorgeous flower so much more when it's not filled up with so many embellies! Great ribbon treatment!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE this color combo! So bold and clean. Great job on this project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable; I love the clean yet vibrant colors!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the look of your card very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute, I love the clean and simple style that you have used! I am so using that flower!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. sweet....love that you kept it clean and simple!! Great little gift set!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How beautiful! I love red & blue together, and adding that little bit of yellow makes it all pop! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I especially like the post-it cover. I too, loose them at work all the time. What a great give for a co-worker. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG...this is wonderful!! So striking. Love the colors and combos of elements!! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your project and from the way the pictures look....your flower could be made out of ribbon....so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous project - your coworker will love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your clean look and color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such an adorable gift set. I really like your post it note holder. Great idea - thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this clean and simple set! Great colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this clean and simple set!!! Very pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a great gift idea... it would work great as a teacher appreciation gift, or secretaries day... the possibilities are endless. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sue will love it!! Fabulous colours...that red flower really pops!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Jen you always give us nice clean projects and I love them, I need to work on mine more though. Love those little post it.. too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh this is just gorgeous - and I am sure everyone feels intimidated to follow YOU in the schedule too!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the simplicity of this card and the colors. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Primary colors with a couple neutrals: love this color combo. I also like the pleated ribbon and hurray for polka dots! Great card and project; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a great little gift set! You know I love that clean and simple look, too, and you rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  39. this set is just perfect - i love your style and these colors are wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great gift set! Love the way the red just pops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Such a cute, cute set! Love the color combo and that bright red flower :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Pretty! I like how the colors pop off the kraft color!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Jen, your designs are so terrific. What a fun way to keep co-workers out of your post its!! Hope it deters the thieves...lol

    ReplyDelete
  44. Dearest Jen I adore Red Flower, so this one won my heart:))

    ReplyDelete
  45. Dearest Jen I adore Red Flower, so this one won my heart:))

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is beautiful Jen! I love the clean look and the way you folded the ribbon is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Jen -

    I love this set! What a clever idea. This would be great for lots of folks and can be tailored to each one by switching up the designs. I love your flower on each piece, just so sweet.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thanks for sharing this! I can't see how YOU would be afraid to follow anyone! You're clearly a leader!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Fabulous gift idea~such a beautiful color combination~~I am loving the polka dots from the Bountiful Backgrounds set!

    ReplyDelete
  50. No intimidation necessary; these are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  51. what a great set! The red flower really pops against the Kraft and blue :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Jen, I always enjoy seeing your clean take on everything! Great colors and just enough ribbon and buttons.

    ReplyDelete