Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Home for the Holidays: Day 14

Hi everyone, it's Amy here today, bringing up the tail end of this awesome Home for the Holidays Project Parade. I've been so impressed with the variety of inexpensive gift ideas! Hope this parade has given you some fun, new ideas to try out this holiday season!

I have an easy project to share today that could work as either a home decor item or a gift. I found these glass jars on clearance at a local fabric store (Hancock) earlier this Fall for only $20 for a set of 3. The pedestal style and the glass knob on the lid make for such an elegant presentation. I usually see these types of jars filled with various things like key limes, cranberries, acorns, and such, but holiday sweets work well, too! Wouldn't it be fun to group a few of these together, all filled with different treats, for a {partly} edible centerpiece?

For today's project, I decorated the medium-size jar (without the lid, the jar measures 8" tall and about 4 1/4" in diameter) with a fairly simple belly band and medallion and then filled it with one of my favorite holiday sweets: Mexican Wedding Cookies.

For the medallion, I stamped the sentiment (from Christmas in the Air) onto heavyweight ivory paper in a dark green pigment ink, clear embossed, and die-cut using one of the Spellbinders fancy tags dies. Behind that is a red "donut" cut with Spellbinders circle dies and stamped with the snowflake wreath (also from Christmas in the Air) in white craft ink. Then behind that are two Spellbinders Labels 4 die-cuts from various Basic Grey holiday papers.

For the belly band, I found that even strips of 12" designer paper were not long enough to go around the full circumference of the jar, so I designed the band in two pieces and connected them with a narrow band of light green paper and burlap string tied between two brads. Because the jar is ever so slightly tapered, I adhered the belly band along the top edge only, using 1/4" Scor-tape. Last, I tied some olive ribbon around the knob on the lid for a splash of color up top. Add a small tag to the ribbon for gift-giving.

So, the cost breakdown: less than $7 for the jar, say $1 for paper and ribbon (I used scraps), plus the cost of the ingredients for the cookies. I've probably busted the $10 budget just a bit (I do that with budgets, you know {wink}), but only because those darn pecans in the cookies were so expensive!

So, now it's your turn! We'd love for you to play along with us and show us your homemade goodies for the upcoming giving season! Verve stamps are not required, but if you've got 'em, why not use 'em?

And, as with all of our project parades, we've got prizes! To enter, just link up your Home for the Holidays creation to the Mr. Linky widget at Day One's post before midnight MST on Thursday, November 26. One lucky stamper will win a $30 gift certificate to the Verve Store. And for another chance to win, be sure to give the Divas a little shout out in the comments as they parade their fabulous creations inspired by this month's theme. One lucky commenter during the course of the parade (Nov 11 - 25) will win their choice of any Verve set.

43 comments:

  1. This is SO beautiful and elegant! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh this is beautiful. What a great find on the jars, and you are right a grouping of these would be beautiful(er). :) I love how you did the belly band, I have had this issue with other things and this is a great solution. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this...beautiful wrap for the jar :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh such a beautiful presentation!!! This is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFULLY DONE!! What a great way to give such a yummy gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous idea!! Love the jar wrap!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great find the jars you found! I love how you decorated it, too! And, mexican wedding cookies ~ yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so lovely! I just love this and what a festive gift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an elegant idea! I love the presentation and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh great project. But those cookies...they look *fantastic*. Yum! Now I'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so amazing! Love those jars, what a great find! I would love to have a center piece filled with those kind of treats, thou it wouldn't make it to my holiday table!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fast, inexpensive, inspirational, lovely & yummy! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This jar is gorgeous!! Great way to present the cookies! Thanks for sharing.

    sueot33@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun shaped jar! Great presentation of the goodies inside too :D Fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the colors you used! Such an elegant presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so nice - it really is a nice way to give goodies and the colors and patterns are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is just so stunning! What a fabulous idea for a goodie! Loving this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Love the belly band and all the intricate details. I'm going to have to search out those jars because I definitely want to try this. Just love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what a centerpiece this would be! Great project Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful jar to start with, and I love how you used the paper, stamps, and dies to create a very special gift. With homemade cookies, no less! Great project; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I love apothecary jars and how you have decorated this up is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely...this would make not only a great centerpiece, but also a wonderful hostess gift filled with goodies!

    Hmmmm.....the gears are turning...

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow Amy this is sooo gorgeous, I luv the idea!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE your layered tag...so beautiful! This would make a wonderful hostess gift!

    ReplyDelete
  25. a fabulously beautiful project. yumm. Edible centerpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful jar!
    the wrapper looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, this is beautiful, I don't know if I would give it away, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very pretty. I love the way you did the belly band. Great buy on the jars also. TFS
    JoAnn (scrappingnana4@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gasp! This is beautiful! What great colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG! This is phenomenal! I would be honored to receive that as a gift!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I seriously wish I could watch you create! Card after project after card is so scrumptious (I'm still thinking about those cookies {grin}) that I think if I just watched you I might be able to start color coordinating and layering like a "Shef"fer master (still thinking about those cookies!)

    (Sorry for so many puns, but I just couldn't help myself)

    Have a gracious Thanksgiving! See you at the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this jar! The sentiment stamp is great. I gotta put it on my want list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love this Amy and all the details you always add!! I am a HUGE fan!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. How pretty! Love how the goodies inside let the decorating OUTSIDE shine!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I LOVE this! I am always looking for a great deal on those kind of jars. They are so beautiful, and you made yours even more beautiful! Fabulous project!

    ReplyDelete
  36. great glass jar find! I love how you improvised with the twine & brad closure. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Stunning! Beautiful jar and papers! This is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  38. beautiful!! one of my fav holiday accents :D

    ReplyDelete