Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Project Parade Day 9--Divine Details

I'm a little nervous coming so close to the end of all the talented Diva's process descriptions, lol! I doubt my process will have anything earth shattering or even anything that you haven't seen yet, but I hope you may get some ideas or insight into how I do that thang I do, lol:)


There are a few things I think you'll notice on almost every card I create and they are *in no particular order* Ribbon, Brads, Bling, and scallops. Those are my no kidding GOTTA HAVE EM's! Even my husband has commented on this. I showed him a couple cards I made and he says "Babe, they all have the same stuff on them, you need to change it up" BWAHAHAHA! What a guy, he just doesn't know!

So, those are the things I need on most cards. How do I start? Well, my process isn't much unlike what you've seen so far! I LOVE me some challenges, so most likely I start out by looking at the SCS daily challenges or surf some of my favorite challenge blogs (Mojo Monday, CPS, 2sketches4you, etc). I am not one of those super awesome stampers that sees a challenge and tackles it, I only tackle the ones that truly inspire me, otherwise it feels like a job, kwim?

If you know me at all, you know that I LOVE sketches! However, I almost always make my cards first and then create a sketch from the layout of my cards. That's how most of my sketches come to be, but not all:)

Once I choose a challenge or decide what kind of card I'm going to make, I'll choose a stamp set. The layout of my cards depends completely on the stamp set I choose.
To come up with an original layout, I take scraps of cardstock and just layer them on the card base. I keep moving stuff around until it all falls into place, literally, lol!

Once I know my layout, I'll decide on papers. I choose a piece of patterned paper first and then pick colors that coordinate; however, for this card I created here, there is no dp! Sometimes I'm in the mood to create my own, or just use solid colored cardstock instead of patterned paper. For this card, I stamped the long border stamp from Kindred Spirits in Rich Cocoa ink (by Momento). I knew that was what I wanted for my base. After that, I just played around with my papers until I had something I liked. I almost always add scallops to my cards, as I mentioned before, but for this card I used my Fleur de lis punch by EK Success. The last thing I do is to add last minute details/embellishments. The row of three rhinestones is something I do ALOT! I read that "Rule of Threes" article on a website once and it stuck. An even number number of embellishments doesn't sit right with me so I always have three. Hey, it's a RULE! I'm an Air Force girl, Rules are my life! LMBO! The little button on the bow, the cuttlebug corner die, and the stickles glitter are just a few of the last minute details I added on this card. I don't have any secret to how I choose embellies, it just has to feel right, and not overdone. And once I've added these details, I'm all done!

See, I told ya it's no earth-shattering secret, lol! It just is what it is:)

Wanna play along with us? We'd love it if you did! Just make a project or card that shows us your Divine Details. Verve Stamps are not required, but if you've got 'em we love to see 'em! Then just add a link to your creation to the Mr. Linky form on the Project Parade Day 1 post before 8PM Mountain on Saturday, August 1. Two lucky participants will win a stamp set of their choice from the Verve Store. We've also hidden another $25 gift certificate somewhere along the parade for a random commenter. So if you like what you see, be sure and give a little shout out in the comments of each post! Have fun and good luck!

Card Recipe:
Stamps-Kindred Spirits (Verve)
Paper-Rustic Cream, Scarlet Jewel (PTI), Chocolate Chip (SU!)
Ink-Scarlet Jewel (PTI), Rich Cocoa (Momento)
Accessories-Fleur de lis punch (EK Success), Rhinestones (unk), Cuttlebug Vintage Corner die, swiss dots folder (Provocraft), Scarlett Jewel button, ribbon (PTI), Stickles (Ranger)

37 comments:

Kim said...

Amber, beautiful card. I love reading your "process" and while you may use similar things each time they never look the same. Love your creations!

StampinCathy said...

This is one stunning card. Love the colors, layout, and that bow! Thanks for this inspiration!

Michelle H said...

I really love this card and the design. It is truly lovely.

Tricia said...

Very, very pretty! I like the stamped BG - it took me a minute to actually "see" the fleur de lis. Thanks for sharing your process with us!

Terri E. said...

I really like this card. There is nothing wrong with using fabulos elements.

It's a good life!
Terri E.

Mary said...

Looks good, as usual!

SusanR said...

Lovely card! Doesn't seem to matter that you think all your cards are the same - they all turn out beautiful and unique!!!

Ravengirl said...

Even if it is no "earth-shattering" secret, that "thang" you do sure is magnificent!

Bogner's said...

I love all your creations, including this one! They are always have an elegant to them! Just because you use the same type of embellishments, none of your stuff looks just alike!, it is all unique, since all the embellishments have their own style, just like you! Beautiful work.

PaperCrafty said...

Very pretty card Amber!! Thanks for sharing your process with us.

Maureen said...

Fabulous, Amber! That is one of my favourite sets right now :) I love your comments about being a RULES girl...I'm one too, except it comes from my Catholic upbringing! LOL

Marisa said...

Great card, Amber. Fun to hear about your process and how your sketch comes about.

Janelle said...

Wonderful colors on this card. Supreme alignment on the bg paper.

Viva La Verve sketches will never be the same! I'll know there was a card behind the sketch. Thanks for sharing Amber!

.................... said...

Beautiful card!

-Tifany
http://inkblotsbytrd.blogspot.com

Jekka said...

I love that it's no earth shattering process--that's what makes it so unique and so you. The end result is one stunning card. Thanks for sharing.

SMK said...

oooh i am sooo loving the scallops at the bottom of the card! and the luscious ribbon... great job :D

Kathy W said...

Beautiful card, Amber. I love the punch border you added at the bottom.

KanataNewf said...

The card is just fabulous!

pammy jo said...

lovely card, as always. thanks for the great post :)

Teresa Kline aka va.sunshine said...

Amber,

I luv this card, it is gorgeous....I luv that ribbon..wow!

enjoy *~*

Rebecca Ednie said...

Beautiful card! Love the ribbon and such wonderful colours.

Cheri Howard said...

Gorgeous card, Amber, and thanks for a glimpse into your method!

leenda said...

Lovely artwork! Ya gotta go by the 3 rule!!

Lori said...

Beautiful card - it's just gorgeous, Amber. Great to read about how you get your lovely cards!

Regina (TheStampin'Bean) said...

Ooooh, gorgeous! Thank you for the inspiration. Love it!

PaperCrafty said...

Fabulous card!!

Rosemary D said...

Beautiful card! I to follow the "rule of three"! Love your projects!

Kerri said...

Your cards are always gorgeous, Amber, and this is no exception! Thank you for the peek into your design process!

southernscraps said...

Very pretty card. Love your process.

Kimberly said...

Thank you so much for sharing this info! I love seeing how someone comes up with designs and seeing their thought process!! This card is just stunning! Thanks so much! :)

Julie E said...

Such a beautiful card - your cards always look unique and individual :>)

scrappingnana said...

What a beautiful card. I love the colors. TFS

Anonymous said...

The cards you come up with are so creative. Thanks for the ideas.

Rosie said...

Beautiful card. Thanks for the inspiration.

Susan aka "Crunchy" said...

Oh this is such an incredible card! You are one super talented Diva!!

Davi said...

Amber, Your card is very pretty. I do love the print and color combo. Thanks for your info on the process.

Maureen said...

Thanks for sharing your process! Love the rich colors of this card!