Thursday, July 23, 2009

Project Parade Day 6 - Divine Details

Hi everyone, it's Michelle! What a fantastic Project Parade so far! Lots of really great stuff from my fellow Divas, huh?!? If you are just joining us today, the theme for this month is Divine Details. Each Diva will share a bit of our cardmaking "process".

My process? Well, I am a VERY visual person. So, along those lines I thought I would share some pictures.
I don't create in the abstract, I need a plan. So I ALWAYS start out with a sketch, I am completely lost without one. I don't have the ability to sketch my own, and fortunately it's not a problem as there are MORE than enough sketches out there to chose from. I start the week by printing out a page of some of my favorite sketches. I work throughout the week using these. For this card, I chose Julee's Mojo Monday sketch -see it? It's in the bottom row in the pink.

Once my sketch is chosen, I find a stamp that works with the layout. I chose to go with one of my favorite sentiments from the set Forever in Our Hearts. Next, I find some pattern paper I want to work with. I knew it was a sympathy card and I wanted to use some of my new Zva Sweet Blossoms peach flowers. So I pulled out some papers from Basic Grey's Mellow and Sultry pack that I thought would work.


Once I get things stamped and cut out, it's time to start embellishing! The sketch called for a "bow", so using my Bow Easy, I tied bows in some ribbons to help me with a visual and make a decision. Sometimes this process can take forever. I love to play around and find the perfect ribbon for my cards. I have been known to have a pile of over 15 ribbons before making my choice!

Once I am done with the basics of the card, I do the final touches. I love to add BLING to my cards. I have a little trick that helps me visualize the rhinestones on the card. I keep them on the clear acetate sheet and arrange them, then lay it down on the card. In this pic, I arranged both pink and clear rhinestones in a corner shape and moved them around until I found a place I liked. Using this technique, I don't damage my DP moving around the adhesive backed jewels AND don't ruin the sticky on their backs. I should also mention that another "go-to" finishing touch for me is to pierce my scallops and highlight with a white gel pen. I think it adds the extra little something and isn't hard to do last minute.

So here is a close up of the floral embellishment. You can see I decided on using my Martha Stewart Branch punch, some Zva flowers, and pearl stamens colored lavendar with a copic marker. You should have seen all the other colors I tried before settling on lavendar, thank heavens these come with ALOT of stamens in a package! LOL!

And now, here is the finished card...
So, that was a small peek into my cardmaking process, I hope you enjoyed it! LOL!! Hey, we'd love to have you join us this month. To play along, just make a project or card that shows us YOUR Divine Details. Verve Stamps are not required, but if you've got 'em why not use 'em? Then link to your creation to Mr. Linky in this post before 8PM Mountain on Saturday, August 1st. Two lucky participants will win a stamp set of their choice from the Verve Store. AND, we've hidden another $25 gift certificate somewhere along the parade for a random commenter. So if you like what you see, be sure and give a little shout out in the comments of each post!
Have fun, good luck and thanks for stopping by!

40 comments:

  1. Beautiful card today! I'm with you on needing a sketch - most of the times I do the same - print out a bunch or STAR them on my google reader and then go from there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved to actually see your process step by step. What a great idea for all of the visual learners :)

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your ideas and your process. Great pointers that I will incorporate into my creative process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning card! Thanks so much for the visual process! It really helps to know how others create!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card and so inspiring!
    I think it's easier to have a sketch too. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for your tips on arranging rhinestones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! And, beautiful card, as always. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card! Thanks for talking us through your design process!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle, this is so stunning!! Thanks for the peek into your creative process...it's so cool to see how different stampers create! I love the trial-and-error you use (me too!), and I'm definitely remembering that tip for rhinestones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh i love how you took us though your whole design process- awesome! and that card is brilliant, love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your card is FABULOUS! Love your process and the tip about rhinestone placement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great card! Thanks for all the tips in the details about your process!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so organized! What great tips & inspiration! Your results are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do the exact same things with my bling :D I have to place things on a card before I can decide if I like them or not as I can't visualize things in my mind (ask my DH about me and furniture placement LOL!). Thanks for the insights - love the card and the bouquet is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved the visual aides that you provided us with today. I usually just save the sketches to a file on my hard drive for later use but later seems to never arrive. I like the way you print yours out and have them all on a poster board for reference.
    Beautiful card BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the flowers and you did great with the sketch, but how do you mail a card like this with SO much dimension that could get smashed?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your card is simply beautiful- thank you for sharing your creative process, and may I say it was truly inspiring! I'm really loving this particular project parade!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you have so much talent I'd bet you COULD work without a sketch! ;) Thanks for sharing -- LOVE those little flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous card! I'm a sketch-aholic, too - I'm lost without one! =D

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the tip about using the contact sheet to arrange your gems! Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for all the visuals! What a cute little flower arrangement!

    ReplyDelete
  22. what organization!! i need a sketch too :0 thanks for the details on how you create such beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful card. Thanks for showing us how you create! I'm a big fan!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing card Michele. I love the three panels behind contrasted with the scalloped circle framing the sentiment. And the two rows of ribbon are perfect to draw your eye to the sentiment circle. The little flowers, stamens and such are sweet. Fantastic job. Keep 'em coming. We love your artistry!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the photos of your workspace! I don't ever think my workspace is that organized during a project. {wink} Thank you for sharing your wonderful card with us.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your process! Your divine details are perfect and the pictures really helped show the process!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous card and thanks so much for the little peak into your creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  28. what a fabulous card and even better process....great job!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful card! I love working with sketches and usually print out all the sketches I try to complete each week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a lovely card. I love the bow with the flowers....it's just so pretty! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for the insight to your creative process. I love sketches too!! Wish I had found them years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW! This is GORGEOUS!!! Thank you so much for the wondeful tip with the rhinestones! I will definitely be using that one. I also love the paper piercing with the white accent. Fabulous, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I loved seeing how you organize your sketches - what a great idea! Your card is simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great post, I love to see the process to a beautiful card, thanks for sharing, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful card. I like the idea of trying out different placements with the bling while keeping the jewels on the acetate...especially for a visual person! TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love using sketches also. Thanks for sharing your process with us. Your card is beautiful. Great colors and details. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am completely with you Michelle, without a sketch, I am dumbfounded! I have such a hard time with a challenge! So I am with you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  38. An incredibly gorgeous card Michelle. I love the photos of all your steps and details. Love the display of the weekly sketches at a glance. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for the insight! Your creations are so pretty and I LOVE those little flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful card. I like the visual too.

    ReplyDelete