Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Serenity and Joy

Yep, that's what I am giving you for free today, Serenity and Joy. Want some? Don't we sometimes wish it were that easy? Well, here's a card I made that implies just that at least! I'm sure you've seen by now the fabulous inspiration photo of THESE beautiful turquoise and yellow pillows. Although I tend to use a lot of yellows and mustards in my cards and projects, mixing it with a turquoise or teal color was definitely stepping out of my comfort zone!

I knew I had the patterned paper that would be a great match for the gold tones, so I paired it up with More Mustard. That was the easy part. I looked at the pillows some more and grabbed for Not Quite Navy as my blue and was "quite" pleased with that combo. I had not had a chance to work on Julee's Mojo Monday sketch, so I employed it here, and changed it to a square card to match the pillows' dimensions.

I just started by cutting and layering all the pieces. I ran the More Mustard square through my new Cuttlebug Swiss Dots folder for some nice texture, pulling it from some of the dotted portions of the pillows. I stamped the main image with my Serenity set using inks of the same colors and then the sentiment in Not Quite Navy as well. I loved how some of the embroidery on the pillows seemed to wrap around the edges, so I tried a new (to me) look of pulling the little ribbon tabs to the front of the main panel and affixing them with Crystal Effects. I used a Nestability Circle Die for the scalloped tag and semi-cut the sentiment with my Creative Memories Circle Cutting System. I then cut the "hanging over" parts by hand for a neat look. I finished it off with some plastic baubles along the left edge.

It was a bit of a challenge putting these colors together, but when all was said and done, I fell in love with them (not to mention the pillows)!!! Now you know you are feeling all inspired and stuff, so go forth and conquer your color fears! HERE'S a little Verve challenge for you with a little prize involved. Link your cards HERE...we want to see!!

5 comments:

  1. Laura (scrapnextras)April 15, 2008 at 8:06 AM

    Gorgeous Amy! I love the ribbon tabs...first thing that caught my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I love the little ribbon loops and trimmed out sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susie! Fabulous card today on your first ever Verve blog post! Your card is amazing, love the ribbons!

    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just BEAUTIFUL Susan! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, this is so pretty!! The layout and design is so unique!!

    ReplyDelete