Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Pillow Full of Sunshine!

When I saw the gorgeous pillows selected as the inspiration for our Project Parade, I was pretty excited -- I love those bright colors! As I looked closer to come up with a project, I was drawn to the one in the upper-left hand corner. I liked the way the teal-ish background of the fabric played with the turquoise, white and gray stitching.


Call me literal, but like Laura -- who was just anointed yesterday as one of SCS's new Dirty Girls! Woo-hoo! -- I decided to make a pillow box. Me! I never make stuff like that -- all that scoring and measuring? It seems like too much for my wee brain to handle. But it's not! If I can do it, you can do it, too. I promise!

Here's how: I downloaded a template from here and printed it off on an 8.5" x 11" piece of teal cardstock. I cut around the template and scored the straight lines, then I took an embossing stylus and ran it gently over the curved lines a few time to the point where it would fold the way I wanted it to. I then created the 'pillow top' using a mix of images in gray, turquoise, silver and white from Fancy Florals Remixed. I mimicked the trailing vine of the actual pillow by using one of the flowers from the Serenity set. The sentiment was heat embossed with silver embossing powder, I arranged and adhered the flowers, popped a few up with foam tape for some depth and dimension, then added a couple of Swarovski crystals to give it some sparkle. The last step was to run a strip of red sticky tap along the template edge, and there it was! A classy, custom box ready to fill.

Hmmm... ready to fill... what was I going to put in it? I thought about the inspiration piece and had a flash of inspiration myself... Lemon Drops!

Now it's your turn! Get your Verve on and take the challenge. You have nothing to lose, and might just have a little shopping spree at Verve Visual to gain!

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful Carole! Love the rich colours you drew from the inspiration piece...great minds think alike!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love the mix of flowers, especially the "spray" of Serenity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So clever!!! A pillow box for a pillow inspiration!!! LOVE IT!!!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful, Carole! What a "sweet" project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very yummy with those lemon drops--great take on the challenge!
    LeAnne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carole, I love this elegant pillow box!! The colors are so warm and rich! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This pillow is just gorgeous! I love the colors and cut out flowers!

    ReplyDelete