Tuesday, February 3, 2009

January Project Parade Goes Hybrid

Hey everyone! Jen Tapler here. When Jen (the other one - ha!) issued the Kid at Heart challenge, I knew right away that I wanted to make some type of age-appropriate Valentine keepsake for my 2-yr-old son, Dean. This is what I came up with...I used the new Hundred Hearts set to make a sort of learn-your-numbers-and-colors Valentine board book. I used Mod Podge to adhere my digitally designed and printed pages to a Maya Road Coffee Break chipboard book. I stamped the Hundred Hearts sentiment on the cover and added some ribbon, a covered chipboard heart and felt flower to dress it up a bit.

Each set of facing inside pages is color-coordinated - the color of the alpha used to spell out the name of the color matches the color of the stamped and paper-pieced hearts on the facing page as well as the mats on both pages. Clear as mud? Here, take a look at a few of the inside pages and you'll get the idea...I stamped off the small outline heart from Hundred Hearts the appropriate number of times on both the book page and on a piece of the coordinating colored paper. I then used my hobby knife and a 2-way glue pen to paper piece each individual heart on each set of pages. I alternated between stripes and the graphic pattern for the inside pages to add some interest.It's hard to see in the pic, but I also added some messy faux digi stitching around each of the panels.
Although I used lots of digital elements in this project, it would be quite simple to replicate using your scrap stash - obviously just use "regular" paper in place of the digi papers, chipboard or sticker numbers, and sticker or stamped letters to spell out the colors. You could even take it one step further and add in some REAL stitching!!

Want to play along and be "A Kid At Heart?" To play, just link your project to THIS POST and you'll be entered to win a $25 gift certificate to Verve Stamps. Please be sure that your entries are linked there no later than 8PM (Mountain) on February 5th. The winner will be announced here on February 6th. Have fun and good luck!

Stamps: Hundred Hearts (Verve)
Paper: printed digital paper from All You Need is Love by Dani Mogstad (Sweet Shoppe Designs)
Ink: Momento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko)
Accessories: Coffee Break Book (Maya Road); Chipboard Heart, felt flower & silver brad (SU); ric-rac (Martha Stewart); Bad Sewing Machine Basics digi stitches by Traci Reed (Sweet Shoppe Designs); Extra Large Chippy Alpha (digi) by Libby Weifenbach (Sweet Shoppe Designs); Black, White & Red All Overlay digi alpha by Darcy Baldwin (Sweet Shoppe Designs)